.: action figure :.

Another Work in Progress. The subject is the granddaughter of our teacher’s friend.

I love the practice strokes I made (first painted image with all the figures on it). I tried it from different angles and slight different colours (still mainly in the quin burnt orange and french ultramarine). It’s my favourite part of this particular exercise so far.

First Week, March 22, 2017

 

Second Week, April 12, 2017

Last week I tried to make the figure work in an upright or portrait view. When I came back to it this week, I finally decided that was wrong, and the horizontal or landscape view was needed to give room to the action, both the before and after. I am liking this version much better.

Following the lead of Andy Evansen, I removed all the distracting elements, so it is just the player and the ball, on the field.

The sky was done in an initial wash of raw sienna, and then some very pale winsor violet from the top down.

The grass is a very wet sap green, with a little aureolin washed over the top.

The figure’s bare skin areas is quin burnt orange, and the uniform is quin burnt orange and french ultramarine mixed on the paper, very juicy.

Still to come: fill in the uniform shorts, the head, the flying hair, and other details, shadows, etc.

Week Three, April 19, 2017

Finishing up the action figure this past week. I’m really happy with how everything turned out!

 

Materials

Paper

  • Arches 140 pound cold press 9×12 block

Brushes

  • Dreamcatcher #14 Round
  • Dreamcatcher #10 Round

Paint

  • WN Raw Sienna
  • WN Violet
  • WN French Ultramarine
  • DS Quin Burnt Orange
  • WN Permanent Alizerin Crimson
  • DS Sap Green