Last week in class, we went back to one of my favourite things to pain: Flowers! This time we had a very pale pink rose that had a nice yellow glow from the center, and a deep, dark background.
We made a copy of Fealing Lin’s “Iris” portrait as a class exercise.
We are Using staining colours, as we want them to stay on the paper as we paint over them. Winsor Red, Yellow, and Blue (I’m using Phthalo Blue instead of Winsor brand – same paint, different maker.) I am basicly layering up.
We’re using very wet paper. Linda soaked hers front and back, and then put it on a wet piece of gatorboard.
Paints were “juicy” – wet and full of pigment.
I started this painting way long ago, and had only been able to mask the buildings. Then I stopped going to painting classes for a while. A few weeks ago, my mom and I had a painting session where I worked on this. Today, I attended the class of one of my favourite watercolourists, Edna Windes, and she gave me more advice and pointers, so I finished the piece.
This entry consists of two paintings of the same subject. The one on the left took a lot of time and attention. The one on the right was initially done in about 10 minutes.
This was another multi-week project. Thankfully, Linda had a make-up session this month so I got an extra day working on it.